Sheila
Why is 보자 used in this sentance? I am reading over a sample dialog about making plans. In the dialog, I read this sentance: 세 시에 영화관 앞에서 보자. The dialog translations are "Let's meet in front of the movie theater at 3." Why is 보자 used in this sentance? I know -자 means "let's" so I assume the dictionary word used is 보다, which means to watch/see. Why is this used instead of 만나다 (to meet) to mean, to meet? Side question, how does the listener know in the sentance if they should meet at 3am or 3pm? Logically it would be 3pm. Can this be dropped in speach if the time of day is understood?
2
0
1. In Korean, "보자" has many meanings, but it is typically used to mean "Let's see together" and "Let's meet". 2. In Korean, whether the time is A.M or P.M should generally be determined by context. Confusing the time you wonder sometimes happens. That's why in places like the military, the day is represented by 24 hours. (Example: 23 o'clock)
Sheila
Korean