Have/have got/have gotten (American English) Hi, everyone This question is for American English speakers. What’s the difference, for you, between these sentences? 1) “These tweets have got him called racist” “These tweets have gotten him called racist” “These tweets have got him being called racist” and “These tweets have him being called racist” 2) “The end of the semester has got me nervous”, “The end of the semester has gotten me nervous” “The enf of the semester has me nervous”? Which work and what’s the difference between them? Thank you very much
Got and gotten are interchangeable here, as in "All it's got/gotten me is a lot of trouble." I think Brits usually use got and Americans gotten. I'm American, and prefer 'gotten' in example 1, but somehow I prefer 'got' in #2. Take your pick. "These tweets have him being called racist." is also the same meaning but it's a little awkward- you have to think about it a second, whereas "The end of the semester has me nervous." sounds fine. Go figure!