Alexander Lopatin
What's the meaning of the "secular trend"? Hello. I read a book about the Market Cycle. It has a term which is often used. Secular trend, secular uptrend, secular downtrend... Intuitively, I see its meaning, but I can't understand the exact meaning. All dictionaries give me a definition of secular as 'society', 'nonreligious' but it isn't right in this case. I think definition near with basic trend, general trend, main... Can you help me?
9
0
Secular trends in the economic/market/investment sense are trends that aren't seasonal or cyclical. They are long term trends not affected by current or present economic factors.
“Secular trend” is used a lot in health and science. It basically means long-term trend, or the trend on the longest time scale.
It means a long term trend that is not effected nor related to the cyclical and seasonal trends.
"Secular" is derived from the Latin "saeculum" and it can refer to long-term trends, trends that persist for a long time. A "saeculum" was a long period of time. A century is a specific number of years. The length of a saeculum was variable and based on human life. A saeculum ended when the there were no longer any survivors from the beginning of the saeculum. In investing, a "secular bear market" means a bear market that continues for a long time.
Alexander Lopatin