Ahsanul Irfan
Why are you doing it again when/since all things are totally ok. Why are you doing it again when all things are totally OK. VS Why are you doing it again since all things are totally OK. I wonder how Chinese police find the Chinese missing girls when they all look the same. VS I wonder how Chinese police find the Chinese missing girls because/since they all look the same. Do they mean the same?
4
0
There is only an emotional stress that the speaker wants to focus on when he/she uses WHEN. But SINCE is less stressed, it just gives plain information and the use is more formal than WHEN.
Ahsanul, Patrycja and Erin have given you very good answers in their comments. Nothing to add from my teacher perspective.
They basically mean all the same but can have a different nuance. Especially because - that’s your opinion and you’re trying to state why did u say such thing Ex. -I wonder how police officers find the Chinese missing girls. -Why? -Because they all look the same (that’s pretty racist btw) When sounds more general, like you’re just stating a fact. In my opinion, since in the first example might have a feeling that before things weren’t okay, but now are. But tbh the difference is really small and you don’t have to worry which one to use, you just “feel it” You could even use “If” in those examples
Yes, they mean roughly the same thing, though "all things are" should be "everything is." I think "since" is better here because it implies cause or a direct relationship between the things. "When", which is can indicate a causal relationship, isn't as strong and could mean that you're referencing two things that just happen to occur at the same time.
Ahsanul Irfan
Bengali, English