Oscar Castillo
Name of future tense (will/going to) So I took an English exam for a contest in which I had a section with theory of the grammar. Thankfully I passed to the next round and I'm studying in order to increase my score and get 1st place. I remember one question that basically was about when you should use 'will' and when you should use 'going to'. But it referred to the tenses with an specific name and I can't remember it. If you know it please let me know.
3
0
Simple Future and Periphrastic Future
Maybe you're thinking about the present continuous tense which describes an activity at the time of speaking ? "I am going to the beach" is present continuous and describes what you are doing now, or the immediate future. Notice how this differs from, "I will go the beach". This describe a future action, not a present/immediate future action. When to use 'will' and when to use 'going to' is actually quite complex, and you need pages of examples. Some circumstances they are completely interchangeable, other times one or the other is required, and in other instances each will have a different nuance.
Well my 10 minute google leads me to believe that they are called .... future with/using "will" and future with/using "going to". Sorry. Impressed that you will know much more grammer than I ever will. ... than I am ever going to. :)
Oscar Castillo
Chinese (Mandarin), English, Korean, Spanish
Chinese (Mandarin), Korean