Sue
important vs. significant any difference? Can you also give me some sentences with the word 'significant'? thank you.
3
0
Significant can mean special and noteworthy. It is also used in mathematics to denote the number of digits after the decimal point- Important can mean high-ranking. Sally is my significant other. - While Sally is important she would go beyond that. She would be special. Find the value of pi to four significant digits. Answer is 3.1415 - The value of pi goes on forever, so we must choose to stop at a certain number of digits after the decimal point. The president of the club is my friend. - The president is a high-ranking position within an organization in addition to other leaders. Normal members of the organization would not have the high-ranking positions, so they would not hold an important position.
"Important" means "of great value or consequence" (valuable/consequential). "Significant" means "sufficiently great or important to be worthy of attention" (noteworthy).
Sue
English, Japanese, Korean