Nívia Lara
what’s the difference between “just“ and “only“?
4
0
As an adjective the terms are quite different: Just - based on what is morally right and fair Only - single or solitary alone deserving consideration As an adverb: Just - exactly very recently barely simply absolutely possibly Only - solely exclusively no longer ago than not until with the unfortunate result that inevitably So, while they can mean the same thing at times, given context, they could also be drastically different things. Also, you can see that just can mean nearly opposite tings when used, depending on what word it modifies.
Only can be an adjective (e.g "This is the only photograph I have of my grandpfather"), an adverb as in "I only expect you to..." or a conjunction as in " We both live in the same city only I live closer to the main square". Just is mostly used to mean "a short time ago" as in "He has just arrived; I´ve just spoken to your mom". Just also means "exactly": This is just what I wanted to read. However, there are cases in which just and only are interchangeable: "It was just/only a funny comment", "It is only/just a few kilometers far from the station". Hope it helps! :)
No difference actually. But ONLY is more emphasising and formal.
Are you only asking about the sense where they are the similar?
Nívia Lara
English, Portuguese