Ethan
Which one is your preferred choice to express the same thing? 1.Video games always distracts him from his homework. 2. He is always distracted by video game and forget his homework.3. Video game is always a distraction to him and makes him forget his homework.
4
0
I prefer #1 because it is more direct & efficient, and it is a very commonly used structure so people will be more naturally able to understand you without needing to think about it. Just fix the typo, say "video games always distract" or say "playing video games always distracts". However, if you really want to emphasise the "forgetfulness" then you will need to use that word, which is in #2 and #3 but not #1. So it's all about what message exactly you wish to convey. Here are corrected versions of those sentences, with notes: 1) Video games always distract him from his homework. -- This is very concise and natural. 2) He is always distracted by video games and forgets about his homework. -- This is more detailed. It is technically fine, but only necessary if you wish to emphasise the act of forgetting, otherwise it's inefficient / unnecessarily longwinded. 3) Video games are always a distraction to him - they make him forget his homework. -- This is like #2. It's unnecessarily longwinded / inefficient unless you wish to explicitly refer to the act of forgetting, in which case this is then fine.
Thank you, Susan, Hun. Could you tell me if there are something wrong about the other 2 options. My expression in English is often affected by my own language, which is mandarin. So I would like to know native speakers' habit to express the same thing.
Video games always distract him from his homework.
#1 - But it should be: "Video games always distract him from his homework". Since "games" is plural, you would remove the "s" after "distract". If it was just one video game, you would add an "s" to distract and say something like "The video game always distracts him from his homework." I hope this is helpful!
Ethan
Chinese (Mandarin), English, Italian, Japanese, Spanish
English, Italian, Japanese, Spanish