谢山山
The meaning of "The more I listened, the queerer it seemed​and the less I cared for it." Please. context: But this morning was different. Disturbingly, because mysteriously, different. No wheels rumbled, no busses roared, no sound of a car of any kind, in fact, was to be heard; no brakes, no horns, not even the clopping of the few rare horses that still occasionally passed; nor, as there should be at such an hour, the composite tramp of work-bound feet. The more I listened, the queerer it seemed​and the less I cared for it. In what I reckoned to be ten minutes of careful listening I heard five sets of shuffling, hesitating footsteps, three voices bawling unintelligibly in the distance, and the hysterical sobs of a woman. There was not the cooing of a pigeon, not the chirp of a sparrow. Nothing but the humming of wires in the wind. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- what the meaning of "The more I listened, the queerer it seemed​and the less I cared for it." Why the queerer, while the less I cared for ?
2
0
The queerer .... = The stranger... / The more odd .... / The weirder..... ... the less I cared for it. = .... the less I liked it. (These days 'queer' often means homosexual, so you have to be careful how you use it.)
谢山山