Ryan
Female v. Male Conjugations I’m having trouble with the female and male verb conjugations. For example, if the speaker is male, would he say, “Encantado conocerte”? And if the speaker is female, would she say, “Encantada conocerte”? If the speaker is male, would he say, “Yo envío la información por electrónica”? And if the speaker is female, would she say, “Yo envía la información por electrónica”?
2
0
Well, the male and female verb conjugation doesn't change because of the speaker being male or female. "Yo envío la información por correo electrónico." applies both to men and women when they're speaking. The reason "encantado" and "encantada" do differ when a man and a woman speak in the first person singular, is because, in the phrase you're using, "encantado" and "encantada" represent an adjective in the phrase, and adjectives in Spanish do change depending on the subject's gender. The phrase "Encantado de conocerte." or "Encantada de conocerte." is a short form for saying "Yo estoy encantado de conocerte." for men or "Yo estoy encantada de conocerte." for women. Even though "encantar" is a verb, it can also take the form of an adjective "estar encantado" o "estar encantada", same thing as the verb "aburrir", if you use it as an adjective, you say "estoy aburrido" for men or "estoy aburrida" for women. Now, if you're using the verb "encantar" as a true verb, as in the phrase "Yo encanté a la princesa", it's the same whether the person that put a spell on the princess is a man or a woman. "Yo encanté", or in the present "Yo encanto" doesn't change whether the speaker is male or female. The same with the other verb I used as an example, when you use "aburrir" (to bore) as a true verb, you say "Yo aburro a mi audiencia." (I'm boring my audience) whether you're a man or a woman. If you're a woman, you don't say "Yo aburra a mi audiencia." But, as I said before, if you were a woman you'd say "Estoy aburrida."(I'm bored) because in this case it's working as an adjective, and the verb is "estar" (to be). If you have further questions, don't hesitate to ask.
Ryan
Spanish