mayllt
In "new Isabel", what does the word "new"mean? ‘It’s so important,’ the new Isabel had explained, ‘that they should like the right things from the very beginning. It saves so much time later on. Really, if the poor pets have to spend their infant years staring at these horrors, one can imagine them growing up and asking to be taken to the Royal Academy.’ And she spoke as though a visit to the Royal Acad- emy was certain immediate death to anyone . . . ‘Well, I don’t know,’ said William slowly. ‘When I was their age I used to go to bed hugging an old towel with a knot in it.’ The new Isabel looked at him, her eyes narrowed, her lips apart. ‘Dear William! I’m sure you did!’ She laughed in the new way.
1
0
Not sure - need context before that, but it seems most likely that Isabel has changed significantly.
mayllt