Loto Elizaveta
The meaning and the usage of the word "pinning" Many times I met this word but really confused what does it means. It usually appears when one person loves another but has no courage to confess (or at least I suppose so). I guess it is synonym to the word "flirting" but I am not sure, definitions from vocabulary are telling about "attach smth" or "fixed smth". But i am sure it is not the case. The example of it usage in this context that I found recently: "Did you see that? What a sad, pinning guy."
5
0
Hello, Morozova! I think there is a bit of word confusion here: To pin -- to attach or to fix something to another object. --- > I am pinning this note to my wall. To pine -- to yearn or to long for someone or something. ---> She is pining for her boyfriend. One word has two Ns, and the other only has one N. Be careful! :-]
“Pinning” doesn’t make sense but neither does “pining”. You would never say “he is a pining guy”. He is pining for her. Stop pining away for her.
It is "pining" when someone wants to be with someone (or something) but cannot: "He was pining for the girl of his dreams." "Pinning" is an incorrect spelling in this context.
Loto Elizaveta
Chinese (Mandarin), English, German, Russian