Selielu Prien
I got some sentences that I can't understand :( These sentences are from 'Through the looking glass, and what Alice found there' 1. I was watching the boys getting in sticks for the bonfire. what is the meaning of "getting in sticks"? 2. This led to a scramble. Does it mean "This led to a mess."? 3. So, to punish it, she held it up to the Looking-glass, that it might see how sulky it was--'and if you're not good directly,' she added, 'I'll put you through into Looking-glass House. What is the meaning of "you're not good directly."?
2
0
1. I was watching the boys getting in sticks for the bonfire. what is the meaning of "getting in sticks"? The boys were collecting pieces of wood (twigs,branches) to be used for the bonfire. 2. This led to a scramble. Does it mean "This led to a mess."? Not usually. The usual meaning is a rush of people pushing past one another .... generally in competition for something. Example: (1) Prices are going to be discounted at the shop tomorrow, so there will be a mad scramble of people trying to get the bargains. (2) Ticket sales for the concert were only available for a short time. This led to a scramble at opening time with people pushing and shoving one another to get the last tickets.
Selielu Prien