Alyosha Radyuk
What does "make do" mean? Is it the same as or close to "manage"? Thank you
3
0
People use the expression, "I'll make do", to stress the idea that they can make things work even when they have less than expected. I would suggest a better synonym would be the word, COPE. The word, manage suggests the ideas of order and ability. The word, cope suggests striving and contending through difficulty.
That is exactly right. Examples: I only earn a salary of 600 dollars here in Poland, and I have a family to support! But we make do! A project like this usually requires 10 people, but we only have 8, so we'll have to make do without.
There is an old saying. It might have been popularized by US President Calvin Coolidge, who served from 1923 to 1929. Use it up, wear it out, Make it do, or do without. The saying tells you to be frugal and economical. It means you should avoid buying new things. You should make everything you own last as long as possible. (To "do without" means living without having something you need).
Alyosha Radyuk
Belarusian, English, Japanese, Polish, Russian
English, Japanese, Polish