Mehrdad
If I go to Japan and say I haven't eaten whale.... Does that mean in Japan only? Maybe back home ... I had eaten whale. But If I say I have never eaten whale ...I think now it means throughout my life I have not eaten whale. Am I correct?
21. Aug 2019 15:47
3
0
Mehrdad, as in my previous answer this has to do with verb tenses. "I have not eaten" is present perfect tense. It means that at no time in the past to the present have you eaten whale, regardless of whether it was in Japan or at home.
21. August 2019
If you say "I have eaten a whale", you're saying you ate the whole animal.
21. August 2019
If you say I have EATEN A WHALE You are simply stating the fact and you are stating it in a PRESENT PERFECT TENSE. It does not matter WHEN or WHERE.... you ATE/EATEN that WHALE ONLY that it was done. If you say I have never eaten A whale, again you are only stating the fact, that you have not done it but because you are ADDING NEVER you are also telling us that this was... well 0 TIMES in your life :P
21. August 2019
Mehrdad
English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Latin, Persian (Farsi), Russian, Spanish
English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Latin, Russian, Spanish