Priscilla Ch
Need help with"to do" and "doing "in this sentence Here's the sentence I read in an article : most people believe the best way to build a great team is to gather a group of the most talented individuals. My question is: if I rewrite " to gather " as "gathering ", is it grammatically correct?
8
0
If you wanted to use "gathering", it would sound more natural as: Most people believe that gathering a group of the most talented individuals is the way to build a great team.
Yes. When the infinitive is being used as a noun these forms are almost always technically interchangeable, although the infinitive is much less common and much more formal. There are many situations where using the infinitive instead would be awkward. The infinitive is common in proverbial language. To err is to learn. To live is to suffer. These are possibly said as: Erring is learning. Living is suffering. However, this would be less poetic.
"gathering" is both grammatical and fine. "to gather" sounds a little more formal which fits the rest of the sentence here. In a shorter sentence, "gathering" might be preferred. A similar and more concise variation can be created by adding "by". … great teams are built by gathering the most talented individuals.
using 'gathering' is grammatically correct in your example, but for me it sounds awkward and far less natural than 'to gather'.
Priscilla Ch
Chinese (Mandarin), Chinese (Cantonese), English, French
Chinese (Cantonese), English, French