Maria
Difference between else and yet Hello! Please, tell me, what difference between "else" and "yet". How use it correct? What context is suitable for these words? Thanks.
4
0
There are very different uses actually. else = for when you want to ask for other choices "What else do you like?" / "How else can I do it?" yet = for when you are referring to a specific time. "I haven't started it yet" / "I don't want to do it yet"
I think this is where you find the difference confusing: confusing. You can use "else" to introduce the second of two alternative. "I will have tea or else coffee." "Yet" can be used as a conjunction to introduce a phrase that appears to contradict an earlier phrase. You could also use "nevertheless". "it was dark (and) yet I found my way." "It was dark, nevertheless I found my way. You will find explanations of the meanings here: https://www.lexico.com/en/definition/else
Maria
English, French, Italian, Russian, Swedish