Elena
[with its curtains drawn] or [with drawn curtains]? Hello, everyone! :) I'll be happy if you can help me. Do the phrases below sound good for a native speaker ear? Can we say: 1) There was a window with its curtains drawn through which we could see the Ferris wheel. 2) There was a window with drawn curtains through which we could see the Ferris wheel. Thank you for your help! :)
12
0
They both sound OK to me, but you would be more likely to hear the first sentence. Although it is a bit odd to see the Ferris wheel through drawn curtains. - That's how I would normally use drawn curtains. You could say it the other way but you need more words. Although it is a bit odd to see the Ferris wheel through a window with its curtains drawn.
“Drawn” is not a common word here probably because it has essentially contradictory meanings, At least in American English, it can mean both open and close. “Drawing the curtains” would normally be opening them, but “drawn curtains” would normally be closed. If you wanted to convey that you could see the Ferris wheel even though the curtains were closed, I’d say exactly that. If you wanted to convey that the curtains were open, you could use “open” or replace “drawn” with “drawn back”. I.e “with the curtains drawn back” In short, neither of your examples sounds good or is clear but it’s not your fault! It’s a failure of the language itself. Also “sounds good to the ear of a native speaker”
Both sentences are good grammatically but I think most people would prefer to use number 1. I would also like to say that both phrases are extremely formal and probably wouldn't be used outside of a poem or fictional story, so a better spoken example would be "The curtains of the window were open and we could see a ferris wheel." or even more simply "We could see a ferris wheel through the window".
Hi, Both of these I understand clearly, any native english speaker will understand. I personally prefer the first sentence but both will be fine.
Elena
English, Russian, Ukrainian