Kai
English Grammar Hi Friends, they are the same thing, aren't they? A.I am practicing my translation skills. B.I am training my translation skills.
6
0
“Practicing” is the right word for this sentence. “Training” is usually used for something a person does to or for a person or thing in order to improve that person’s or thing’s abilities, and so the object of the verb “training” is a person, animal, or other object: Examples: I am training her to do the job. I am training my dog to sit on command. I am training Siri to recognize my voice. I am training myself how to read music.
Hello Kai! Both of these sentences do mean the same thing, though Sentence A sounds a bit better to me. Another option would be the verb 'to hone', which is a word we specifically use with skills: I am honing my translation skills.
Thank you Teacher Adam
The nuance is a little different actually, but they are essentially are the same thing and I would also note that [A] is the more common natural phrase. [A] refers to the idea that you have a satisfactory skill level and are keeping it at the level. [B] refers to the idea that you are trying to get your skill level higher than it already is.
Kai
Chinese (Mandarin), Chinese (Cantonese), Chinese (Hokkien), English, Indonesian, Malay, Russian
Chinese (Cantonese), English, Indonesian, Malay, Russian