Girls at the piano
What does this sentence mean? The title of this article is "The Good and the Bad of Digital Friends" "No longer limited by geography, these people can fill the voids left shamans and tribal leaders of yesteryear, and the best part is, you get to choose them." I understand every word, but could anyone tell me what 'fill the voids left shamans and tribal leaders of yesteryear' mean?
23. Aug 2019 02:13
7
0
I think it's a mistake and also really strange word choice. "No longer limited by geography, these people can fill the voids left BY THE shamans and tribal leaders of yesteryear, and the best part is, you get to choose them." So after reading the article, what I believe they are saying is that just as in the past shamans could speak or communicate with far-off spirits, the internet allows us in the modern day to communicate with people in far-off places. The tribal leaders of the past are the celebrities and role models of today in their comparison. I think it's a pretty strange metaphor all things considered.
23. August 2019
The writer is comparing digital leaders (people with a large online following) to the shamans and tribal leaders of past. These online digital leaders 'control' people through their influence, just as the shamans did. Digital leaders are the modern day 'shamans' in their power to influence people.
23. August 2019
There is something wrong with your statement. Voids left by shamans? Voids filled by shamans?
23. August 2019
I guess they are talking about past years when shamans and leaders used to choose the exact place where should a tribe live. For example: near a holy land or near the river to trade, ets. And now people are free to choose to live whereever the want. Some more context needed to give more particular explanations.
23. August 2019
Girls at the piano
Chinese (Mandarin), English, Italian
English, Italian