richard
Acompanar Can anyone tell me what the difference is between "acompanar de" and "acompanar a" In my book I have read "y acompana a don Jose al despacho" and in another chapter "al dia siguiente acompanada de su madre" I am now not sure whether to "a" or "de" with the verb acompanar. Many thanks Richard
9
0
Hello Richard, two of them are correct, the difference ist the context alguien acompaña a... (someone accompanies...) alguien está acompañado de... (someone is accompanied by...) I hope it helps
A. In the first case, acompaña is a verb (acompañar). There are are three possibilities here: As with many other verbs, if the direct object is a person (or personifiacation), you add "a", otherwise, the verb goes without a preposition: a) Él/Ella acompaña a don José al despacho. b) El vino acompaña muy bien las comidas. The third option would be with a substitution of the object with a pronoum (no preposition): Ella me/te/lo acompaña al despachó. B. In the second sentence, acompañado works as an adjective, it is formed with the participle of the verb . It can function as an absolute adjective (no preposition): Mejor solo que mal acompañado; or it would be used with the preposition "de": Mejor solo que acompañado de alguien fastidioso.
Thank you Zoe for your response it is much appreciated. Richard
The other are two people who walk together "Acompañada de su madre"
The difference is when du go to a person "acompañar a"
richard
Spanish