Alex
Made or have made? I often see how people write, I made it, she broke it. But they always talk about an accomplished action. Are they correct? Or they have to say I have made it, She has broken it? (without any context, for example as a description for an image in Instagram) Also I stick with an opinion that often this kind of people are American, native speakers. I am looking forward to your answers! Thanks in advance!
9
0
"I made it" is correct, if you're talking about something you made in the past. "She broke it" is also correct, if you're talking about something that she broke in the past. You would say "I've made it" if you just finished making it (very recently), or if you're talking about the how making it has had an impact on the present moment. For past actions, it's true that Americans often use the simple past tense in cases where British speakers would use present perfect. In most of these cases, both simple past tense and present perfect tense are equally correct. Neither one is wrong. There are simply different conventions in England and America for which tense is preferred.
Hi Alex, The difference here is the tense. Generally "I have made" is present tense. An example would be "I have made a decision". The speaker has presently decided what they're doing "I made a decision" is past tense, you are describing an action taking in the past. I hope this helps.
Thank you very much all of you! You have helped me so much. Your explanations are great!
"I made it" or "I broke it" is using past tense. "She has broken it" is present tense. So these above example are all natural but different uses. "I have made it" is not natural at all because the tense is not clear though.
Both are correct in different contexts. If you say "I made it" you are talking about an action that has been in the past(and right now you might not have an evidence for it), but if you say "I have made it" it's still action in past but now with an evidence, like you post a photo of a cake and you say "I have made it!" I hope it helps!
Alex
Chinese (Mandarin), English, Japanese, Russian
Chinese (Mandarin), English, Japanese