Shia
Do you say "porcelain tea set" or "china tea set" or "crockery tea set"? Among "porcelain tea set" or "china tea set" or "crockery tea set", which do you use more often? 2) What does "blowsy" mean in "blowsy rose". Is it derogatory? 3)is "faded gilt" = "scuffed gilt"? 4) How do you say "let's have on toast" to mean "cheers"? 5) What does "hertz" mean in "a few painful hertz below the correct notes"?
3
0
1) Porcelain tea set. Or stoneware would be another kind, made of a more course, earthen clay. 2) Honestly I've never heard this one used. It seems rather derogatory according to the dictionary. 3) Faded is different from scuffed. Faded has lost its sheen. Scuffed means pieces have been scraped off by rough handling. 4) Let's have a toast. Or, Let's toast. 5) Hertz should not be capitalized, only when using the abbreviation, Hz. In this quote it refers to the frequency of the vibration, or the pitch, which is not quite in tune, and therefore painful to the ear.
China tea set. China us usually made from porcelain and so don't clarify this unless we need to. We don't use "crockery tea set" at all. "blowsy rose" is new to me. What is the context please. "faded gilt" is not often used at all. Gilt is a metal covering, usually gold, but could also be some other metal. If its faded, then it will have done so over time, peeling away and leaving the peice uncovered. "Let's have A toast"! not on toast "a few hertz below the correct note" would mean that the note is off key, making it painful to listen to Hope this helps I'm a teacher here on italki, you are welcome to check out my profile for conversation practice.
Hertz is the S.I. unit of frequency.(I corrected my error). I would say China.
Shia