Courtney
Are these changeable to each other? as a past participle; forgot <> forgotten With this transformational rule 'forget-forgot-forgotten', I've known and used 'forgotten' as a past participle but some books are saying that 'forgot' and 'forgotten' are replaceable to each other. I couldn't find it on everywhere included Google and all the people are saying only about 'forgotten'. But I would know and make it clear if 'forgot(P.P)'s used expression or ONLY 'forgotten' is used. Thank you in advance!
8
0
In archaic usage, "forgot" can be a past participle of "forget." It is also occasionally used in poetry. In normal language, however (including both casual and formal English), we always use "forgotten" as the past participle. You'll probably never see "forgot" as a past participle unless you're reading English texts that are several hundred years old.
You can say something like I forgot the book. or I have forgotten the book. Note that "forgotten" requires a helping verb (in this case "have"). You could also use "forgotten" as an adjective but "forgot" would not be used as an adjective. The forgotten book is very old.
The very simple answer is that they are always use the following set phrasing: "I forget (my phone)" "I have forgotten (my phone)" "forgotten" needs "have" before it. However, "I forgot..." is definitely the most commonly used phrasing in everyday speech.
Courtney
English, Italian, Korean
English, Italian