Shia
What does "bore the pants off" mean in "She'll bore the pants off you next time about the grandkid"? 2) When people jab a finger - the finger is usually index finger or middle finger? What does "jab a finger" mean in "she jabbed a finger Raymond-ward."? 3)What does "a head" and "dry" mean in "I'm paying sixty quid a head for a dry roast turkey dinner"? 4) What does "downwind" mean in "He smoked as we walked. I tried to position myself downwind of the noxious toxins."? 5) What does "whereby" mean in "after some initial awkwardness whereby sammy had no idea why a pudgy hand had been thrust in his face"? 6) What does "walking frame" mean in "he gets confident with the walking frame."?
3
0
She Talks Alot
1, She will talk at length about the grandkids. 2.It would normally be the index finger. It would mean she pointed at Raymond with her index finger while moving her arm towards him. 3. The person is paying the 60 quid per person for a tasteless turkey dinner. 4. The person was standing away from the direction the wind was blowing the smoke. 5, There was an uncomfortable moment when Sammy realized there was a hand thrust in his face. 6. It probably refers to a walker that someone would use to assist them while walking.
2) When people jab a finger - the finger is usually index finger or middle finger? What does "jab a finger" mean in "she jabbed a finger Raymond-ward."? Usually it's the index finger. In this example she closed her fist and pointed her index finger in the direction of Raymond. Sometimes the wrist moves a bit up and down (once/twice etc) at the same time as the finger is pointed. 3)What does "a head" and "dry" mean in "I'm paying sixty quid a head for a dry roast turkey dinner"? "a head" means per person. It is costing 60 quid for each person (per person) for the meal. A 'dry roast turkey dinner' means the turkey was cooked without oil or water .... it was cooked dry in the oven - by heat and air only, I guess. 4) What does "downwind" mean in "He smoked as we walked. I tried to position myself downwind of the noxious toxins."? 'downwind' is usually the direction the wind is blowing. If something is 'downwind' the wind is blowing towards it. The sentence you mention is a bit confusing because if he were downwind of the smoker, he would be getting the smoke ! I can only think the writer meant the person wanted to always walk 'in front' of the smoke. Far enough in that 'downwind' direction (direction the wind is blowing towards) that the smoke would dissipate sufficiently. 5) What does "whereby" mean in "after some initial awkwardness whereby sammy had no idea why a pudgy hand had been thrust in his face"? 'whereby' means 'in which' or simply 'where'. 6) What does "walking frame" mean in "he gets confident with the walking frame."? A 'walking frame' is a walking aid that old people use to help them walk. It's more supportive than a simple walking cane. A walking frame is usually gripped with 2 hands, and it usually has 4 'legs' that provide more balance to the ground.
Shia