Stefano
How begin a note? Hello everyone, this is an easy question.. When I finish a short post-it note (for example to my boss) do I have to greet in the same ways used in a letter...? for example: Yours sincerely/faithfully or is it enought a signature? Thanks
10
0
Post-it notes are very informal. Starting a post-it note with "Dear Mr. Fineman... " would look funny. In my experience - i never added any kind of greating. it takes space and looks funny. Just say what you want to say and stick it to their computer screen! :) "You're mum called" Hope this helps!
I find that "Thanks" or "Many thanks" is useful as a polite but fairly informal sign-off. I use it in emails and sometimes on post-it notes. The next stage up in formality is "Best wishes" (or sometimes "Best regards" or "Kind regards"). These are fine for polite, relatively formal emails. "Yours sincerely" (which you use when the addressee is addressed with their name e.g. Dear Mr Smith) and "Yours faithfully" (used where address the person without a name e.g. Dear Sir) are both too formal, even for emails. We only use them in formal letters.
Signing a note is not “beginning” it. How begin a note? (No!) How should I sign a post-it note? Usually just your name or initials. Never with sincerely/faithfully
You could sign your name so the person would know who to go to for further detail on the note if the person needed further clarification.
well sorry i don't have that kind of experience yet... but, if u want it to appear more formal, maybe u should add it...just i think...
Stefano
English, French, Italian