Girls at the piano
Could anyone tell me how to pronouce it? (1) His body was honed to perfection. (2) It was a finely honed piece of writing. Am I right by saying that in (1), when we say "honed to," that d sound is deleted because it was followed by a t sound? If so, how about in (2): "honed piece.." ? When 'd' was followed by 'p,' should 'd' be pronounced?
10
0
It depends. In careful speech, the d is pronounced but hard to hear. In reduced speech, the d is often dropped. Think about these examples. In careful speech, a native speaker has no trouble distinguishing "I phone Tom" from "I phoned Tom." I phone Tom every day. When he was sick, I phoned Tom every day. I phone Tom [aɪ foʊn tɑm] I phoned Tom [aɪ foʊnd tɑm] The [d] in "I phoned Tom" is is present but hard to hear because it is unreleased. More generally, sounds that stop the air flow [pbtdkg] are hard to hear when followed by another sound that stops the air flow. Consider "Stop pushing me!" when said quickly. There is the additional complication that a d or t is often deleted in reduced speech when in the middle of a consonant cluster. "blind man" sounds like "blin- man."
The D should be strongly pronounced whenever this word is used! "to hone" (without the D) is just the basic verb form, so it usually modified to fit the grammatical nature of a sentence; so "it is honed" (with the D written and pronounced) would be by far the most commonly used.
I can't be sure about other accents, but I pronounce the 'd' in both cases. If you didn't pronounce the 'd' in the first one, I think it would sound too much like 'home to'.
I would pronounce the "d" in honed every time and would expect other people to do the same and would expect to hear it from other peoples speech, so as not to mistake it for "hone" . For Phoned I would still expect to be able to hear the "d" although maybe not as hard as in "honed" otherwise this too would be misheard as "phone"
Girls at the piano
Chinese (Mandarin), English, Italian
English, Italian