Courtney
Without any article, is it wrong? EX : Will you go to department store by taxi? I would like to put the articles like, - Will you go to a/the department store by taxi? or - Will you go to department stores by taxi? But I'm not sure, how it works? Is it okay just without article itself? or not?
7
0
EDIT: I read this question too fast, and misunderstood it. For the correct answer, please see the comments below. This is a very specialized structure. When "by X" means "X is the method", we don't use articles. I wrote this by hand=I used a pen instead of typing. I sent the letter by mail= I used a mail service instead of the internet. I went there by bicycle=I rode my bicycle there. NOTE: there is a fairly small number of places where we typically use this pattern. Only use examples that you've seen other people use. It's technically OK to say "I kicked the ball by foot", but we would be much, much, much more likely to use "I kicked the ball with my foot."
With the article for the specific question. But you could ask "Do you ever go to department stores my taxi?" (Any store)
Yes, you need the article in singular. In plural you normally don't, although your example sentence sounds odd. When I read it, I wonder 'which ones?'. Do you go to department stores by taxi? or Will you go to those department stores by taxi? are OK.
You need the article. Without it the sentence is grammatically incorrect. A native English will be able to understand what you're asking without any articles but it won't sound as natural.
Courtney
English, Italian, Korean
English, Italian