Pankaj
About use of good morning Can I use "good morning" at any time till night?
4
0
Gray has given you an an excellent answer. I am mystified by Adam's strict timetable and I agree with Gray that there are no specific times for switching from one greeting to another, apart from the fact that we only say "Good morning" until midday. We can certainly say "Good morning" at 5 am if that's when you're up and about. What else would cabin crew use as a greeting on an early morning flight, for example? Obviously, "Good morning". There is no other option! (Remember that "Good night" is not a greeting - it's what you say when you take your leave from someone before going to sleep). Likewise, if you go into a shop at 6pm and it's still bright and sunny, it wouldn't be inappropriate to say "Good afternoon".
I mostly agree with Adam, except that I don't think you need to wait until 6:00 am to say "good morning." If your job starts at 4:00 am, it's normal to say "good morning" to your co-workers at that time. (There's a coffee shop near my house that opens at 4:30 am, and the people who work there always say "good morning" to customers.) The only really strict rule about these greetings is that after 12:00 noon, it's not morning anymore. So you can't say "good morning" at 1:00 pm. You have to say "good afternoon." There's no strict rule about when "afternoon" ends. We usually start saying "good evening" once the sky starts to get dark, but that could happen at a different time depending on where you live and whether it's winter or summer. After midnight, the time could be regarded as "night" (if you're still awake from the day before, or if you're asleep) or as "morning" (if you recently woke up).
Just to add to the other good answers, note that regardless of the time, we never use “good night” as a greeting — only as a farewell. As a nighttime greeting, we can use “good evening”.
No you can't . "Good morning" is from 6am until noon. "Good afternoon" is from noon until 5pm. "Good evening" is from 5pm until midnight. Between midnight and 6am is a strange time, where there is no specific greeting because people are usually asleep during these times. However, if you job does start really early in the morning or finishes really late at night, then it would be acceptable to extend the times to be earlier or later from morning and evening. "hello" is, of course, the usual standard greeting for any time of the day.
Pankaj
English, Hindi
English, Hindi