Luiz
Game Quotes ''And of your wives and daughters you will have your greatest warriors, in wimples with weapons that censer. '' ''He that hears where words cannot be spoke shall abide until time is no more, and the Enemy born of thine own issue shall be thy change for my vengeance. '' The phrases above are part of a biblical account presented in the game ''Outlast 2''. I have got two questions in regard to them: 1) What do the expression ''in wimples'' and the word ''censer'' mean within the context of the first passage? 2) What do the words ''issue'' and ''change'' mean within the context of the second passage? Additional question: Would you mind providing me with an example by using the expression ''in wimples'' in it? Thank you very much.
4
0
The other person who responded is correct. A wimple is also the head piece (hat) worn by Catholic nuns in ancient times as well as today.
A lot of this language is very old-fashioned and not known to English speakers - this is the charm. 1) "in wimples" I have never heard of this word!! I googled it: it is a headscarf for women 500 years ago, similar to an Islamic hijab today. So as an example: "All the women arrived in wimples" (similar to "all the women arrived in headscarves"). "censer" I have never heard of this word either!! Google says it is a container for for burning incense during a religious ceremony. It looks like a noun. Maybe 2000 years ago (when the bible was written) it was used as a verb? We could guess it means "to burn" or "to singe"? 2) "issue" I know this one! It means children, but it is a very formal, legal word. e.g. in a will, you might write "I leave all my money equally to my daughter and all subsequent issue." (i.e. to your daughter and any children she has in the future). In your example, I am not sure if it literally refers to children, or just a metaphor for something else? "change" I think, in this context, it refers to money. e.g. if I buy something which costs $8 but I give you $10, you give me $2 in change. So it's like the "leftovers" of the vengeance. So putting these together, I THINK the meaning is that, after all the vengeance (which maybe caused lots of damage or killed people???) then the only thing left is the "issue" (i.e. children, or something) This is really difficult text to understand (and I don't know the context of the game). I think they make it deliberately complicated and old-fashioned, just to create atmosphere in the game, and the exact meaning is less important. Note also that some of this English would not be correct today (e.g. "be spoke" = "be spoken")
Luiz
English, Portuguese