Hernandez
Verbs Hi, everyone Which of these sentences is right? “I’ve been trying to reach her for a week now, but I still can’t”, “I’ve been trying to reach her for a week now, but I’ve been able to yet” or “I have been trying to reach her for a week now, but I haven’t been able to do it yet”? or “I’ve been trying to reach her for a week now, but I haven’t yet”? Thank you
14
0
(1) “I’ve been trying to reach her for a week now, but I still can’t” Not really, as "have"/"can't" don't match Better: “I’ve been trying to reach her for a week now, but still haven't.” (I would also drop the second "I". This is not essential, just sounds more natural.) (2) "I’ve been trying to reach her for a week now, but I’ve been able to yet” You are missing "not" Better: "I’ve been trying to reach her for a week now, but I haven't been able to yet” (3) “I have been trying to reach her for a week now, but I haven’t been able to do it yet” Not really: the grammar might be ok, but it sounds long, complicated and unnatural. (4) “I’ve been trying to reach her for a week now, but I haven’t yet”? Ok My suggestions, for something more natural: "I’ve been trying to reach her for a week now, but I haven’t managed to [get hold of her] yet” (I would omit the "[get hold of her]", no need to repeat. I just want to show you the full meaning.) "I’ve been trying to reach her for a week now, but I still haven’t got hold of her” "I’ve been trying to reach her for a week now, but without luck.” There are probably many others ways to say this.
Hernandez
English, French, Spanish