Aud
Being a Passenger When I am in a car in the passenger seat and other person is driving, what he or she is doing regarding me? Giving me a drive? I don't mean they give me a lift. For example, we are travelling together on holidays. And someone is driving all the way and I am travelling as a passenger. Or they take me for a short drive just to give me a pleasure of driving, so that I can look out of the window and have fun. What is the verb for what they do? Thank you!
7
1
In the first situation - where you're travelling together on holiday - you would simply say that the other person drives. For example, "When we go on holiday together, it's always Alex who drives" or "On long journeys, Alex and I take turns to drive". If you see this as a specific task/job, you could make a verbal noun and say "Who does the driving when you go away?" and reply "Alex does the driving". In the second situation - where it's a short drive simply to give the passenger pleasure - you have used the correct phrase: take someone for a drive (or a ride). For example, "When my cousins came to visit, I took them for a drive the countryside". You could also say 'My friend promised to take me for a ride in his new open-top sports car." Your other suggested phrase, 'giving me a drive', does not exist, unfortunately. We don't say that. However, you can say 'give me a ride'. In British English, 'give me a ride' would only be used as a synonym of 'take me for a ride', as in the third example above (e.g. "My friend promised to give me a ride in his new open-top sports car"). It would tend to imply a short drive just to give you the experience of travelling in that particular vehicle. Meanwhile, in American English, 'give me a ride' would be used to mean 'give me a lift' e.g. "If you're driving downtown, can you give me a ride?". American English does not use 'lift' in this sense, so AmE speakers use 'ride' in this context. Note that to 'drive someone' (direct object - "My dad drove me into town") also has the same meaning as giving someone a lift. The implication is that he did this to help you. I hope that helps.
They are driving you somewhere, or giving you a lift. It is correct to use 'lift' in this context. "I drove my mother to the airport. I have to give my mother a lift to the airport." If on holiday: We are going for a drive or a ride - if you are referring to both of you. He is driving me around Europe. He is chauffeuring me around Europe. Technically speaking, that is a paid job, but you can use it in a light-hearted, joking manner to describe what he is doing.
Aud
Danish, English, French, German, Norwegian, Russian
Danish, English, French, German, Norwegian