Pineapple
addicted to Does "addicted to" in the following text mean "addicted to the media" or "addicted to the media’s agenda of celebrity making,..." ? I think the former is intended. Am I right? I think it means "in spite of their addiction to the media, artists were also aware of media’s agenda of celebrity making,...". Context: Several key artists of the 1980s expressed an ambivalent relationship with mass media such as film and photography. As Lisa Phillips has observed, they ‘were media-literate, both addicted to, and aware of the media’s agenda of celebrity making, violence mongering, and sensationalism’, so that ‘many became increasingly cynical about the real possibility of maintaining an oppositional position’.
1
1
The 'addicted to' definitely is referring to 'the media's agenda of celebrity making'. The 'and' gives you the clue as to which direction to take the meaning.
Pineapple
English, German, Persian (Farsi)
English, German