آنا
Can the sentence "That's good of you" be considered as a way to express gratitude? I was trying expresing my gratitude to people in different ways, worrying always just saying "thanks" and "thank you" would make people feel somewhat 'dull' tc... I read an artical and copied one sentence of expressing gratitude in it. One I use the sentence "That's good of you" to an American member here he replied me "There No Negative İn İt"... So I feel a bit worried maybe he didn't understand(which means the sentence "That's good of you" doesn't make sense when you're expressing your thanks) I was trying to say thanks very much to him?
11
0
"That's good of you" does express gratitude, but we only use it if someone has done something nice for us - helped us in some way. In general, though, we use it more in the third person (he, she). EXAMPLE: "Oliver helped me move house last week." "That was good of him." If you're using it in the 2nd person (you), it's better to say "That's kind of you" / "It's kind of you" (or "That WAS kind of you" if it's in the past) EXAMPLE: If you ask a stranger for directions and they walk with you to show you the way, you would probably say "That was so kind of you, thank you." In general, if you don't always want to say 'thank you', you could say 'thanks so much', 'thanks loads', etc. NOTE: There is no negative in "That's good of you", so I think you misspoke or the listener misheard.
American here. In my opinion, the phrase "That's good of you" would be more appropriate for offering praise (rather than gratitude) for one's generosity, typically if that generosity helped someone else. EXAMPLE: "I volunteered all weekend at a charity benefit." "That's good of you!" EXAMPLE 2: "I offered Mary a ride because she doesn't have a car." "That's good of you." For expressing gratitude when someone has helped you, it's more appropriate to use "kind" in place of "good." EXAMPLE: "I can give you a ride home if you don't have a car." "That's very kind of you!" It should be noted that the phrase "that's kind of you" is appropriate for expressing either gratitude or praise, such as in the first examples, but "that's good of you" is specific to expressing praise. You can combine this phrase with others to sound more natural. EXAMPLE: "Thanks, that's very kind of you!" or "That's kind of you. Thank you so much!"
"There No Negative İn İt" doesn't mean anything. It isn't even correct English. From his idiosyncratic writing style ( odd phrasing, over-use of capitals and Turkish typeface with dots on the capital İ) I'm fairly sure that I know exactly who this 'American member' is. I would ignore this response, if I were you. My guess is that he was trying to say something like 'Not at all' (an alternative to 'You're welcome') by mistranslating an expression from his own native language. A warning: remember that there are many members here who are not as fluent in English as they claim to be. The fact that someone lives in an English-speaking country is no guarantee that the person is a native English speaker. 'That's good of you' , or more commonly 'That's kind of you', is fine, and it would not be misunderstood by a native speaker. It's a normal way to respond to an offer of help. We would normally say this before they actually do the favour. After the event, you might say 'That was good of you' or 'That was kind of you'.
I don't think "that'is good of you" would be misunderstood in the UK, but I don't know about the US. However, "that's kind of you" is more common. You should be safe with "Thank you very much", although it can be used sarcastically with the right tone of voice and the context makes it obvious. If someone does something unkind to you and you say "thank you very much" it is pretty obvious that you don't mean it. However this applies to the UK, I don't know if it is true in the US.
Juha, you have misread the question. The OP is asking about 'That's good OF you' ( not 'for you'). And yes, it is an expression of thanks - generally used in response to an offer of help.
آنا
Arabic, Chinese (Mandarin), English, German
Arabic, English