María José
Could you correct me these sentences, please? 1- A significant proportion of today’s population certainly prefer buying ready-made food instead of cooking with fresh ingredients. 2- In addition, the wide range of junk food offered by supermarkets and fast food restaurants along with the lack of knowledge by the consumer have caused this national issue. Thanks!!
6
3
1- A significant proportion of today’s population certainly prefers buying ready made food instead of cooking with fresh ingredients. 2- In addition, the wide range of junk food offered by supermarkets and fast food restaurants, along with the lack of knowledge by the consumer, have caused this national issue.
Thanks for your answers!!
¡Hola María! I am happy to help you. Take a look: 1- A significant proportion of today’s population certainly *prefers* buying ready-made food instead of cooking with fresh ingredients. (Contrary to other corrections here, the verb is *prefers* not because 'proportion' is singular, but because 'proportion' can be represented by the pronoun 'it.' Subject pronouns he/she/it in the present tense will normally add 's' to the main verb/action in the sentence.) 2- In addition, the wide range of junk food offered by supermarkets and fast food restaurants along with *a general* lack of knowledge by the consumer have *both* caused this national issue. (I personally believe adding too many commas to a sentence creates unnecessary stops and confusions for the reader. Simply adding the word *both* should make your sentence's message clearer.) Feel free to contact me if you have any additional questions! :-) ~ Craig
1. A significant proportion of today’s population certainly prefers buying ready-made food instead of cooking with fresh ingredients. Notice that "prefers" is correct instead of "prefer," because the subject (proportion) is singular. 2. In addition, the wide range of junk food offered by supermarkets and fast food restaurants, along with the lack of knowledge by the consumer, has caused this national issue. Notice that the subject is actually "range," which is singular, so "has" is correct (i.e. the wide range has caused...).
...these sentences for me...
María José