Bogdan
There is no point IN... Example: There's no point (IN) crying over spilt milk. I often hear that people omit "IN" in such type of expressions (there's no point....+ gerund ). Is it correct or not? Do people just omit IN because of laziness? Is it a mistake when I take international exams?
29. Aug 2019 18:25
5
0
Yes, it is correct. You can include the 'in' if you wish, but you don't have to. When we say "There's no point V+ing", we aren't being lazy and we aren't omitting anything. It is perfectly correct. In response to Adrian's query, I can confirm that BOTH constructions - with and without the 'in' - are accepted in University of Cambridge exams, IELTS and so on.
29. August 2019
It shouldn't be omitted. But it would usually be merged with "point" and said very quickly without much of a vowel, and could be hard to hear.
29. August 2019
As a native English speaker, I can confirm the "in" is optional in this sentence. Both ways of saying it will be perfectly acceptable in speech. I've also never heard much about this specific point in a written exam so I assume it should be acceptable in a written exam. It seems like such a minor point I don't know if test markers will even notice if it's there or not because it sounds completely correct!
29. August 2019
Bogdan