آنا
Will it be impolite if I just choose someone's answer as the Best Answer but without saying thanks…
30 авг. 2019 г., 2:31
13
0
Personally, I prefer not to get just a 'thanks'. If you say 'thanks', I get a notification, and feel obliged to look to see what was written, in case it's a follow-up question. Some people ask a lot of questions, and I find that getting a lot of notes with just 'thanks' can take up a bit of time to read through, and sometimes they seem more a case of 'being polite' than actually appreciative. On the other hand, I certainly do appreciate when someone I have helped a few times makes a special personalised comment occasionally.
30 августа 2019 г.
It's better to say thanks, if the person gave a good answer. Italki does not notify anyone if you click the "best answer" button, so the person who left the answer may never know that you appreciated it. It takes some time to write a good answer to a language question, and it takes almost no time to write "thanks," so it's definitely the nicer thing to do. Also, you're more likely to keep getting good answers if you thank the people who take the time to write them.
30 августа 2019 г.
I think that you should ALWAYS thank anyone who has taken time to help you. Not just the 'Best Answers'. This is common courtesy. Look at it this way. In a face-to-face exchange - where you ask a stranger for help at school, at work, in the street - would you accept their help and then walk away without any acknowledgement? Of course you wouldn't. So why should it be any different online? This isn't Google Translate! There are no robots here. Answers don't appear out of thin air. Every time you ask a question, there is a human being, somewhere in the world, who has taken time out of their day to help you. It's not our job and we don't get paid for this: we do it because it's good to help others. In many cases, it has taken us longer to answer your question that it took you to write it. Those of us who take it seriously will also put time and effort into checking facts, thinking up helpful examples and posting relevant links. So, do you really think it's OK to then totally ignore that person? Not even acknowledge their existence? I don't. In my opinion, this is rudeness in the extreme. I've answered many thousands of questions on italki over the years, but I have a rule: I don't help those members who never have the common courtesy to acknowledge people's answers. If I come across an OP whose posts are full of helpful answers with 0 comments beneath them - no response, no acknowledgement - I won't answer their questions. I'll gladly help anyone who needs it, but I'm not prepared to waste my time on rude and ungrateful people. This is my view. Others may disagree.
30 августа 2019 г.
Thank you all... dear friends...
30 августа 2019 г.
Yes, it is impolite not to thank someone who has taken the time to write an answer to your question, especially when the answer is helpful. As Gray points out, people take their time (for free) to answer these questions, and if you want people to continue to help you you should definitley thank them for the effort.
30 августа 2019 г.
آنا
Arabic, Chinese (Mandarin), English, German
Arabic, English