Victoria
Time clauses When you have been here for another week you'll find it quite entertaining. When you are here for another week you'll find it quite entertaining. Which one is correct? I assume, that talking about future in when-clause we use present simple --> future simple template. Am I right?
7
0
As Adrian says, both sentences are potentially correct, but the meaning is different. Here are two scenarios: 1. I'm presuming that the person being addressed has been 'here' for only a short time, and that they're intending to remain here for several weeks, months or even longer. At the moment, this person doesn't find something entertaining, but the speaker is reassuring them that over the course of the coming week they will begin to change their mind. The speaker is referring to one week from now. Is that the situation? If so, then the first sentence is correct: "When you've been here another week, you'll find it quite entertaining." In this scenario, the second sentence is wrong. You need to use a present perfect to refer to the length of time already spent in the place. 2. The second sentence would only be correct in the following scenario: 'Here' is a place where people spend a week, go home again, and then return on a later occasion to spend another week. Perhaps it's a holiday camp, or a health club, or a college that does one-week residential courses. In this situation, it would be correct to say, "When you are ( meaning 'When you return') for another week (meaning 'a second one-week visit'), you'll find it quite entertaining". This is a less likely scenario, so I'm guessing that this is not what you are trying to say.
Actually both of these sentences are (mostly) correct but mean different things. "When you have been here another week you'll find it quite entertaining." means that you will find it quite interesting after having spent another week here and emphasizes that a week has already passed. I got rid of the "for" because it sounds a bit weird with it. "When you are here for another week you'll find it quite entertaining." means that you will find it quite interesting when you arrive here in order to spend another week. In this case, you have not spent a week here yet.
I think of these this way: First sentence: got here (past) now in another week (future) -----------X-----------------------X-----------------X Second sentence: got here = now in another week (future) ------------------------XX-----------------X
Both are correct Victoria! The context really matters here, if you are talking about past, the first sentence is correct, if it’s about the future, then the second one is better choice. :)
Victoria
English, French, Russian