sean
I'm innocent Do you use that sentence meaning like I'm pure, I'm naive except realted to being guilty.

What is more like native?

10
0
As others pointed out, "innocent" often means "not guilty," both in serious or joking situations. So "I'm innocent" means "I didn't do it," or "I'm not guilty." Innocent is also commonly used to mean naive or pure, especially related to children. EXAMPLE: The baby has such an innocent smile. He's adorable! It can be used to describe adults or even teens too, but then it comes with some judgment attached that they are a bit naive or even childlike/immature. EXAMPLE: "What does beer taste like?" "Wow, you're so innocent!" Lastly, it can also be used to describe someone's motives, and it means "pure" or "with good intentions." EXAMPLES: 1. I made an innocent offer to help Mary with her homework, but she thought I was flirting. 2. The city's new budget proposal was innocent enough, but it had unintended consequences for our community.
As Carmen mentioned, it is usually used in reference to guilt. With a serious crime to exclaim they didn't do it or among friends to pretend that they weren't involved in the mistake/prank. It can also sometimes be used regarding naivety but only when making a joke about it. So the person saying "I'm innocent" actually isn't innocent at all but wants to be funny.
You can use the word "innocent" to describe other people (usually children) as naive, pure, etc., but it would sound strange to use the word "innocent" to describe yourself this way. "I'm innocent" will almost always mean "I'm not guilty." (As Carmen and Adam have said, it could refer to a crime or something less serious, like a prank.)
Thanks:)
It depends on the context. If someone was accused of a crime, but knows he didn't commit the crime, then he'll say, "I'm innocent!". In a less serious situation, a friend my accuse another friend of prank, but the prankster wants to pretend he didn't do the prank so he might say, "I'm innocent!" to avoid suspicion. In another scenario the prankster can use a sarcastic tone and shout, "I'm innocent!" even though he and his friend know he did do the prank and it becomes a joke between them. I hope that helps!
sean