歆霏Hermione
Community Tutor
Is "Pollyanna" a good name? I am reading the book POLLYANNA these days and find the girl Pollyanna in the book cute and warmhearted. I want to give my niece this English name. However on the Internet, it's said "Pollyanna" refers to the person who is blindly optimistic. So is "Pollyanna" a good name or not?
5
0
No. The slang meaning of blindly optimistic is what everyone thinks of when they hear that name.
In Asian cultures, names often hold a much deeper meaning but in western cultures, it's often just the sound of the name which parents are drawn to (or perhaps a family history of the name being used etc). It may be more important to note that many names go out of fashion with passing generations though and this is an example of that. At least in my opinion, it is a very old fashioned name or perhaps a name you'd give a traditional doll but not a person.
歆霏Hermione
Chinese (Mandarin), English, Russian