Hernandez
Might as well Hello, there In the following sentence, couldn’t you replace “might well” with “might as well”? The wigs, the breeches and the unsmiling faces in formal e portraits: for those of us who drink coffee at Starbucks, surf the World Wide Web, or stand at automatic teller machines that give us currency featuring those portraits, the American Revolution MIGHT WELL (might as well) have occurred on another planet.” Thank you
6
1
My opinion's a little different to Kim's. 'might as well' is very often used to make an unenthusiastic suggestion which is not the case here. So using that phrase changes the meaning somewhat or could confuse it. A better substitute than 'might as well' for 'might well', would be 'could well' in my opinion.
They have different meanings. The term "might well" means "there is a good chance/probability." EXAMPLE: The suspect might well have committed several crimes that we don't yet know about. However, "might as well" means "there's no reason not to [do something]," or as @Greg stated, to make an unenthusiastic suggestion. EXAMPLE: "Should I apply for that job? I don't think they'd hire me based on my work experience." "If you don't apply, they definitely won't hire you, so you might as well try."
Yes, you are correct.
Hernandez
English, French, Spanish