saeiiiid
Is this sentence natural? Hello dear native speakers This is a part of a math question and I want to knoe if it's narural : How many configurations could the heights od the 5 buildings have? By configuration I want to mean "possible state". Is that an appropriate word? How would you say that naturally? Thanks
5
0
Yes. I would still change your original sentence, though. It's not natural (at least, for me).
Then you mean "configuration" is OK?
Gary may have a better suggestion, but I'd say, "How many different configurations in height are possible for the 5 buildings." This doesn't mention that 100 metre in total condition you impose - it assumes the reader understands that already. Otherwise, you need to include that constraint in the sentence as well.
Thanks You know, it's stated in the question tha there are 5 buildings with different heights under certain circumstances. The sum of their heights mustn't exceed 100 meters. The question wants the students to find all the "possible states" for the height of these 5 buildings. How many ways we can assign a number to each building as its height. How do you put this idea naturally: How many configurations could the heights od the 5 buildings have?
Configurations usually means arrangements. It refers to ways things can be connected together, or work together. I'm not sure what you mean by 'possible states' when it comes to heights. Can you give a couple of different examples?
saeiiiid
English, Persian (Farsi)