Yuuichi Tam
What does mean "I set it up"? Oh, life is bigger It's bigger than you and you are not me The lengths that I will go to The distance in your eyes Oh no, I've said too much I set it up This is from a song "Losing my religion" by R.E.M
10
0
most people will apply Holy's interpretation to the songs lyrics, But actually they probably don't mean anything in particular. Pop songs of this type are written to be interpreted any way the listener wishes, allowing the listener to apply to the songs their own past memories of life the good, the bad and the ugly. To set something up is often used to set yourself up for failure by being stupid, doing something stupid or rash, at least In British English although Michael Stipe is American I believe. For more theories involving "loosing my religion" = losing one's temper as a Southern American slang, see the comments below the song on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u036M7p6-ak
For the most accurate answer, you'd better ask Michael Stipe, the singer of REM! ;) To set something up means that you arranged for it, prepared for it to happen, planned for it, etc. For example, you might set up a meeting or an event. You can also arrange for something like the punchline of a joke if you tell an entire story only to "set up" the last sentence which reveals the joke. If you don't prepare properly (e.g. don't study for a test, neglect your responsibilities), we often say "you set yourself up for failure." In a criminal investigation, a suspect may have been "set up" if a witness lied about them committing the crime. Alternatively, you might set yourself up if you accidentally tell the police too much information which reveals that you are probably guilty. The REM lyric sounds to me like he revealed too much information, and his secret is now too obvious. Maybe his secret is that he loves the person he's talking about. I'm not sure...
I set it up = I designed a situation/scheme which made something happen you can set up: a meeting with someone and make it look like an accident a trick to trick people a trap to trap someone hope this helps. Check my profile for conversation lessons :)
You Framed TheTree , Understand?
@Holly Thank you for your comment. Your comment is helpful for my understanding this song.
Yuuichi Tam
English, Japanese, Spanish