Victoria
Is it textbook like or still relevant? In textbooks I quite often come across these expressions: I'm keen on I'm fond of Is it relevant nowadays? Or if I use it, will I sound textbook like? And the second Could you please grade them, I mean what is stronger I like or I'm keen on?
1
0
I think they're both relevant today, but "I'm keen on..." is specific to British English. As an American, I don't think I've ever used the word keen in normal conversation. I would say "I like reading," or "I enjoy reading." I might say "I'm fond of..." in writing, because it sounds more formal to me. It's still acceptable and relevant, just not how I speak in informal conversation. Likewise, my British friends often say they are keen to do something (e.g. I'm keen to see a movie this weekend), but as an American I would say, "I want to see a movie" or "I'd like to see a movie."
Victoria
English, German, Russian
English, German