Check out our updated Community
Fernando
So/so much Hello, there I know you can use "really" with "want/wish",as in "I really want/wish...". But in a few examples, expecially when you have a relative clause, "really" doesn't fit. In this case, should I use "so" or "so much"? Example 1: "Is that the gift you SO want to give her?" or "Is that the gift you want SO MUCH to give her"? Example 2: "This is the day I was SO looking forward to" or "This is the day that I was looking SO MUCH forward to" or "This is the day I was looking forward SO MUCH to" Thank you
"So" sounds formal and dated in this context. "So much" works, but put it after the prepositional phrases. "So much" can feel a bit spoken or casual--since "gift" is a bit more formal than "present", it fits a bit strangely with "so much". "So badly" is probably the best choice--it's a bit more formal than "so much", but much less formal than "so." SO: "Is this the gift (that) you want to give her so badly?" "Is this the present that you want to give her so much?" "This is the day that I've been looking forward to so much."
Fernando
English, French, Portuguese