Bean
What's expected of all of you in this new school year? Pls help to deconstruct this sentence. What's expected of all of you in this new school year? Pls help to deconstruct this sentence.I'm not clear about "of"here. subject predicate object,something like this.
7
0
The core verb phrase here is "to expect something of someone". In this case, the underlying subject is the teachers, the 'someone' is the students, while the 'something' is the expected standard of behaviour and achievement. This phrase is usually used in the passive voice, as it is in your example. Here's your deconstruction: What = subject (interrogative pronoun) ---> refers to the students' duties is expected = verb (passive voice) of all of you = indirect object --> refers to the students A paraphrase, in the active voice, would be something along the lines of "What do we expect and require you to do this school year?". This is a common way to talk about what someone's duties are in the eyes of others. For example, "What's expected of me?" means "What do other people believe that I ought to do?/What do other people believe that I'm capable of doing?".
It’s a question. What is expected of all of you this school year? Your answer, for example may be “To make sure I turn my work in on time” Does this help?
谢谢! Such rude behavior was not expected of you.和 you were not expected of such rude behavior .这两句一样么?
Su.Ki.讲得很好了: ) 另外你也可以借助 from 来理解。 What's expected FROM you? What's expected OF you? 这两句结构相同,后者更常见一些,而且后者 expect 的对象也更抽象一些。 也可以参考这里 https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/60927/expected-of-vs-expected-from
Bean
Chinese (Mandarin), Chinese (Other), English