dolco
"Run for it": what's 'it' here? 'your life'?
12
0
'Run for it' means 'run away as fast as you can', so it's very reasonable to think of 'it' as meaning 'for your life', as in 'Run for your life'. That was also my first thought when I saw your question. I'm not sure it does represent anything, though. We have many verbal phrases including 'it' where it doesn't refer to anything in particular. It would be more helpful to think of 'run for it' as a single entity, rather than try to analyse its constituent parts.
It can be anything depending on the context, it’s usually something really important for you. It means “go for it!”, or “don’t let it go!”. I hope it helps, :)
Hello, Dolco. 'It' can be referring to many different things. It really depends on the context. Can you tell me how you heard this phrase? We have a similar phrase in English, "Go for it." This means to do anything that you have to do in order to reach your goal. We often use the phrase as a form of encouragement when someone is attempting to do something difficult. Could this phrase be meant in a similar way? Let me know what you think. If you are interested in taking English lessons, I am a professional English teacher on Italki. I am currently accepting new students and would be happy to help you increase your English fluency!
Hi Dolco, Basically, “it” is for emphasis. Maybe we could say that adding “for it” gives a sense of a goal, something like “over here”, but that’s really just stretching to find a pattern. As Su.Ki says, better to just learn it as a complete phrase.
The common meaning of “it” in this phrase would be “safety”. You would use it when you are somewhere that is risky and dangerous. For example, if my friends and I are committing a crime and I see that the police are coming, I might yell “Run for it!” There is a similar expression “Run for your life!” which suggests that your life is at risk.
dolco