Victor Khanin
THAT OR WHAT Could you say which sentence is right and why? It's my family that makes me feel happy. It's my family what makes me feel happy.
4
0
The first sentence is correct: 'It's my family that makes me happy'. The second is not right. 'What' is a pronoun with a different function. You can think of 'what' as meaning 'the thing(s) that'. For example: "I didn't understand what you said", "Tell me about what you did" or "I love what you wrote". If you can't fit "the things that" in the gap in the the sentence, then 'what' is probably not the right word to go there.
The first one is correct! The second one requires a little change so it becomes “My family is what makes me feel happy.”. I hope it helps, :)
"That" is correct in every standard dialect: American, British, Canadian, etc. "what" is occasionally used instead of "that" in a few nonstandard dialects, including Cockney British and certain dialects in the Appalachian Mountains in America. You can google "the man what done it" or "the man wot done it" for some more examples. However, most speakers would consider the "what" version to be very strange. As a nonnative, you should use "that".
The first sentence is correct. The second sentence is incorrect. It depends on context, but it might be simpler to say, "My family makes me feel happy."
Victor Khanin