Anna
Do I understand correctly the difference between past and present perfect? 1.My brother has finished school this year. He is a student now. 2.Daniel has studied at university since September. 3.He had never been to Kyiv before he started to study in this city. 4.After he had finished school my brother becomes a student. 5.My youngest brother had moved to Kyiv by the start of the new academic year.
7
1
All are correct, just two things “He had never been IN Kyiv before he started to study in this city”. And the 4. If you are talking about your brother in the beginning, it would be better to say it “After my brother had finished school, he became a student.”. The past perfect describes the action done in far past, therefore you don’t go from the far past to present, so “becomes” gets replaced by “became” . I hope it helps, :)
3 "He had never been to Kyiv..." is correct and expresses travel to a place. Here's an example from the Oxford Learner's Dictionaries. be verb [intransitive] (only used in the perfect tenses) + adv./prep. to visit or call I've never been to Spain. "been in" usually refers to being inside a building, a room, or an enclosed space. "He had never been in the vice president's office." 4 "my brother becomes" should be "my brother became."
Past Participle 😁
Anna
English, Polish, Russian, Ukrainian
English, Polish