Wu Ting
How would you interpret the third sentence? How would you interpret the third sentence? Does it mean the narrator recognized lots of people forming a line outside the toilet? PS: in the previous context, the narrator jumped out of the plane before the plane crashed. And before he jumped out of the plane, the narrator had left his seat and walked toward the tail of the plane. Thank you. PS: the excerpt is taken from “Jetlag” written by an Israeli author, Etgar Keret. And I’m reading an English translation. the context: Next, I checked into the Holiday Inn, but I couldn’t fall asleep, on account of the jetlag, I guess, so I watched cable. On CNN they were showing the rescue operation live, which was kind of exciting. I recognized lots of people from the line to the toilet. They were being scooped into lifeboats, and were all smiling and waving at the cameras. On TV it looked really heartwarming, the whole rescue operation.
5
1
It means that he recognised some of the people who had been waiting in line for the toilet before the plane crashed. At some point during the flight, there had been a queue of people waiting for the toilet. On flights, you can't generally see many other passengers when they are seated. The only time you see most fellow passengers is when they are on the way to the toilet, either walking along the aisle or standing in line. If the narrator had also been in the queue, he would have been aware of the people who were ahead of him and would have noticed what they looked like. Or maybe he noticed the people because they were in a slow-moving queue along the aisle next to his seat. Later on, when he saw the rescue operation on TV, he saw many of those same people in the lifeboats.
The translation isn't good here. It could mean a couple of things: he recognised just the people who had been waiting to use the toilet on the plane, OR, he recognised people from when he made his way to the toilet on the plane (a few waiting to use the toilets, plus those in the aisle seats or just standing around in the aisle that he had to pass)
Wu Ting